Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Home made Comfort Foods

It is sad to note that with increase in economy alot of things are becoming lesser and lesser of importance to the average or 'common' Kenyan. Meaning the Kenyan whose getting a paycheck at the end of the month with a substantial amount of money worth spending. There was a time that life wasn't this complicated, forgive me for sounding like a whiner and not 'intouch' with reality, but I miss those days, don't you? We could enter a supermarket with Kshs. 2000 and buy so much stuff for the month or even months. Anyway refer to a previous post for my total disregard of the times we are living in.

On a happier note, this Sunday was pizza Sunday, hooray! And my lovely wonderful awesome husband made, yes I said it right, made us some overly delicious pizza. To think that in this age, an average pizza costs Kshs 600 is just shocking. We are talking about a pizza that can only satisfy 2 chicks who rarely eat that much, meaning you'd have to spent Kshs 1000 plus to get a pizza that gets the attention of your stomach. I think the last time I bought a pizza it was around Kshs 300 or so (I don't pay myself first often enough), and that only happened when it was a special-treat day. Its becoming more and more economical to buy ingredients of comfort foods and just make from home. I think this is especially good because it's high time Kenyans learnt how to make other foods aside from, umh Ugali, Sukuma, Rice, Githeri, Beef stew (with too much unnecessary water), Mukimo, Njahi, Pilau... you can add any that comes to mind.

Do not get me wrong, because, am well aware of the economical situation in Kenya, I live in Kenya, Nairobi to be exact! But there are those times when as a family or pals, you just want to relax and treat yourselves to something nice. Averagely that would mean going to town, to a chips joint and ordering chips and chicken. 1/4 chicken in town is roughly what?, Kshs 140, Burgers cost Kshs 250 or so, Chips is Kshs 60. Considering that the price of potatoes has come down, you can make so much fries at home for Kshs 60. Now when I come from work I pass by the market (kawangware to be exact and like twice a week) where if its a kuku-feel-day, the local butcher can cut for me gram-wise chicken, meaning my options are not limited to the kilogramme. This works out so well, coz its pocket friendly and definitely healthier, because I get to choose how to cook it.

Red meat is something we should all strive to stay away from, once a week is the best you should do. 1/4kg of meat is Kshs 80 (for now) depending on how large your family is, dictates how much you will buy. Pork I have come to discover to my utter shock(guys from central county, largely farm pigs), is cheaper than meat (no, that's not the shocker), but there are so many ways you can cook pork and enjoy it. Please don't make pork stew, just wrong, unless you are cut the tenderloins (no fat). If you can find someone who sells chicken at a good price, take that option as well, or better still have a mini chicken farm (now, I get my mum). Fish is something that is becoming evasive, but we pray it shall be restored into the market for all of us fish lovers to be able to buy and enjoy it more often than not.

When you have a mum who farms, take advantage of that by ordering legumes from them and any 'wild' vegetables, for the lack of a better word I mean vegs like managu, kunde, terere etc which are great sources of fiber, the only challenge is undoing them from the stem, but hey 'mtaka cha mvunguni sharti ainame', I don't know how to translate this in english. Locate a person who can also supply you with onions and tomatoes in plenty and at a good price, this helps your budget alot. Back in the single hay days this stuff wasn't important, I enjoyed my tea/bread/egg days once in awhile, but now, cooking has never been this much fun. So single or not cooking is for all, explore and discover, but don't overindulge the 'wrong' foods.

Not actual Pizza but another made later on, simple ingredients
So back to the pizza, we bought pizza base bread at Uchumi or you can learn how to make it (my next mission), and the other toppings my hubby made at home (curious of what they were aren't you, siri yetu) and if you have an oven great, if not put in microwave and let the melting of cheese bring everything together. Ofcourse don't put uncooked toppings and expect them to cook in the microwave, duhest! You can do the same with a burger, buy the meat, bread and have your own homemade delicious inexpensive burger.
 The average cost of the home pizza came to around Kshs350, remember they were 2 pizzas whose price in a restaurant would have been around Kshs 500 each or more. Anyone want to order a home made pizza?

2 comments:

  1. This one I shall invite myself for the pizza.....and the pork too

    ReplyDelete

Scribe In Your Say